Skip to Main Content

Supreme Court of Prince Edward Island

print small medium large 


Representing Yourself

If you do not have a lawyer and choose to represent yourself, you  will need to do your own legal research and prepare your own case.

It's also important to learn about the court system, the documents to file, specific law in your case and the possible arguments for your case.

Available Resources

  • Law Library at the Sir Louis Henry Davies Law Courts Building is open to the public. Books cannot be removed from the library.

  • is a free internet search engine about Canadian law.

What are the rules of court?

If you plan to represent yourself in a civil or family matter, be familiar with the Supreme Court Rules and Small Claims Rules of Court.

What do I do if I am in custody and intend to file a criminal appeal?

If you are in custody when the notice of appeal is filed, your appeal will be considered a 'prisoner appeal.' Complete Form 82B and refer to Rules 82.04 and 82.05 for instructions on how to file and serve the notice of appeal.

In a prisoner appeal, the Crown is responsible for obtaining the transcript of proceedings at your trial and the Crown is also responsible for preparing the appeal book.

If your appeal is a criminal appeal, you are in custody and you wish to apply for release from custody pending appeal, refer to Rule 82.19 which sets out the requirements for making this application.

The guidebook Criminal Appeal Booklet will also be helpful.

Do I need a lawyer?

Depending on your situation, you may wish to look into the following legal representation services:

  • Legal Aid is available in some criminal and family matters if the applicant meets the criteria.


back to top